Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Soufflé for One

When Chris is out and I'm on my own for dinner, I often take the opportunity to cook something he'd never eat. Tonight was just such a night—I made a soufflé. It sounds really fancy, but it's actually quite simple.

I adapted a recipe for making 1 serving. That way, I don't have to do math every time I want to make this dish. Here is my recipe below:

Soufflé for One

Ingredients

  • 2-1/4 teaspoons butter or margarine
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar or Swiss cheese (I actually used parmesan tonight)
  • 1 egg, separated
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, mustard and cayenne until smooth; gradually add the milk. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into four greased 10-oz. souffle dishes or custard cups. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. i love you! make me a souffle sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be my pleasure. Perhaps when I come visit you. Love you too! Hope you have a good weekend planned!

    ReplyDelete