Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Body Image Boosters

I can't think of a single woman I know who doesn't struggle with body image. Coming from all directions, we've got messages darting towards us about what (or whom) we should and shouldn't look like, what we should eat and how much, how we can look better—It's tough out there!

The National Eating Disorders Association has a wonderful list of ways to boost your body image.

Some of my personal favorites are:

  • I will wear clothes that are comfortable and that make me feel comfortable in my body.
  • I will list 5-10 good qualities that I have, such as understanding, intelligence, or creativity. I will repeat these to myself whenever I start to feel bad about my body.
  • I will surround myself with people and things that make me feel good about myself and my abilities. When I am around people and things that support me and make me feel good, I will be less likely to base my self-esteem on the way my body looks.
  • I will treat my body with respect and kindness. I will feed it, keep it active, and listen to its needs. I will remember that my body is the vehicle that will carry me to my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment