Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Colleges Ditch Trays

Here's an interesting article from today's New York Times about how many colleges are beginning to get rid of trays in their dining halls. They're finding that it saves money and food waste, and it's caused students and other people who regularly take their meals in the cafeteria to eat less. I guess that's one way to control portion sizes. 

That just reminded me of when I was in college and ate in the dining hall. I always tried to avoid putting more than I could balance on my tray because I was afraid of dropping the damn thing. I wish I'd kept that same fear in mind when I was a waitress at a fancy country club and attempted to carry a tray piled high with half-full red wine and port glasses across the ballroom (with its brand-spanking new carpet). 

No comments:

Post a Comment